Have you visited our BCBSNC blog? We're making deeper connections with North Carolinians and finding new ways to provide real-time, dependable information about health care, wellness, healthy living and more!
Join us in the conversation.
Since 1933, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina (BCBSNC) has offered its customers high quality health insurance at a competitive price and has led the charge toward better health and more consumer-focused health care in our state. BCBSNC is a fully taxed, not-for-profit North Carolina company with major operations centers in Durham, Fayetteville, Winston-Salem, and an office in Charlotte. We employ more than 4,700 North Carolinians1 and serve more than 3.89 million customers.2
BCBSNC is committed to making the health care system in North Carolina better – but we know we can't do it alone. That's why we work with doctors, hospitals and others to bring our customers innovative solutions that simplify the health care system, improve efficiency and outcomes, and help rein in costs.
Our Provider Network
The BCBSNC PPO3 network of health care providers includes 96% of medical doctors and 99% of all general acute-care hospitals.4 When outside the state, our members have BlueCard® coverage with doctors and hospitals in all 50 states.
BCBSNC employees work hard not only for our customers, but for the communities where they work and live. In 2015, BCBSNC employees contributed more than $832,700 in our annual employee giving campaign. Matching contributions from the company resulted in a total of $1.15 million invested in our communities.
In addition to financial contributions, our employees donate their time and talents to a number of community causes. Since 1997, our employees have volunteered more than 399,178 hours at a value of over $7.16 million in donated time6.
Our employees are deeply connected to the communities we serve, helping to construct KaBOOM! playgrounds alongside parent volunteers, packaging hundreds of thousands of meals in the annual Sort-a-Rama hunger relief effort, and giving their time to a range of other causes, including Backpack Buddies, Habitat for Humanity, Ronald McDonald House, Special Olympics and the Senior Games.
The BCBSNC Foundation — our company's separate, independent nonprofit foundation — is another outlet for deepening our connections with our neighbors across North Carolina. Founded in 2000, the BCBSNC Foundation's objective is to improve the health and well-being of all North Carolinians. The Foundation focuses on a number of priority areas, including:
- Health Care: Supporting safety net organizations and their partners in achieving measurable results to increase the quality, supply of and access to health care.
- Healthy Living: Increasing access to safe, inviting places to play and be active, as well as access to healthy local food.
- Nonprofit Leadership: Increasing the effectiveness of North Carolina nonprofit organizations and their leaders.
We're a Fully Taxed Company
BCBSNC was founded as a nonprofit Medical and Hospital Services Corporation. Although we are structured as a nonprofit (no shareholders) corporation, the company is fully taxed and in 2015 incurred over $272.0 million in federal, state and local taxes8. BCBSNC has not been tax exempt since 1973 (State) and 1986 (Federal) and it is not a 501 (c)(3) charitable organization.
Because we don't have shareholders, our net income is invested back into the company into things such as health programs for our members, customer service improvements and technology. It also contributes to our reserves, which represent the safety net for our customers in the event of an economic downturn or public health emergency.
Awards and Recognition
BCBSNC is accredited by the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA), a not-for-profit organization dedicated to improving health care quality. NCQA is the most widely-recognized accreditation program in the United States13.
For the fourth year in a row, BCBSNC was named one of the World's Most Ethical Companies by The Ethisphere Institute. Ethisphere Institute is leading international think tank dedicated to the creation, advancement and sharing of best practices in business ethics, corporate social responsibility, anti-corruption and sustainability. Each year, Ethisphere evaluates several thousand companies from around the world and recognizes those few that demonstrate a true commitment to ethical leadership, compliance practices and corporate social responsibility14.
- American Heart Association - Platinum Fit Friendly Award (2010-15)
- AARP - Top 50 Employer for Employees Over 50 (5th time recognized)
- Carolina Parent - Top 50 for Working Parents (2000-14)
- CEO Roundtable on Cancer - Gold Standard Award (2010-15)
- Chief Learning Officer - Learning in Proactive Award
- DiversityInc - Top 10 Company for Diversity in the South
- Ethisphere Institute - World's Most Ethical Companies (2012-15)
- Human Rights Campaign - Best Places to Work for LGBT Equality (2015)
- National Association for Female Executives - Top 50 Companies for Executive Women (2015)
- The American Society for Training and Development (ASTD) - Top 25 Global Corporate Universities
- Training Magazine - Top 125 Award
- Triangle Business Journal - Healthiest Employer Award (2012-15)
- Triangle Business Journal - Diversity Leader Award
- WELCOA: Well Workplace Award, Gold Level (2015)
- Workforce Magazine - Top 100
- Working Mother Media - 100 Best Companies (2007-15)
- Working Mother - Best Companies for Multicultural Women (2015)
- World at Work Alliance for Work-Life Progress 2015 Seal of Distinction
- World's Most Ethical Company (2012-2015)
Learn more about our award winning workplace on our Careers page.
- 1 Employment numbers as of 3/25/2016
- 2 "Blue Cross 2015 Financials: ACA Losses Grow; Improvements in Other Lines of Business, Strong Investments Create Small Profit", BCBSNC press release, 2/26/2016
- 3 Preferred provider organization (PPO includes State PPO and Federal Employee Program PPO).
- 4 The percentage of medical doctors and hospitals is based upon the number of providers that applied for a BCBSNC provider number and then contracted with us versus the total number of providers who applied.
- 5 BCBSNC community relations data, 2/8/2016.
- 6 BCBSNC community relations data, 2/8/2016.
- 7 "Blue Cross 2015 Financials: ACA Losses Grow; Improvements in Other Lines of Business, Strong Investments Create Small Profit", BCBSNC press release, 2/26/2016
- 8 4th Quarter Corporate Goals Results, 4/11/2016
- 9 BCBSNC claims data, 4/11/2016
- 10 BCBSNC claims data, 4/11/2016
- 11 BCBSNC customer service data (2015 Phone Report), 4/11/2016
- 12 www.ncqa.org (Accessed March, 2016)
- 13 Awarded by the Ethisphere Institute, http://ethisphere.com/worlds-most-ethical/wme-honorees/ (Accessed March, 2016