Blue Cross NC Takes Steps to Help Customers Affected by Hurricane Harvey
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina (Blue Cross NC) currently has over 35,000 members living in Texas and Louisiana. As the effects of Hurricane Harvey are felt in those states, Blue Cross NC has taken steps to ensure the health care needs of customers in affected areas are uninterrupted by the storm.
These steps will ensure that our customers can get the health care and medications they need during and after the storm.
Effective immediately, the following policies are in place for all Blue Cross NC customers in a state of disaster county, as long as a state of disaster is in place:
- Allow employers and customers who buy their own insurance to delay paying their premiums for 30 days.
- Allow members covered by a Blue Cross NC prescription drug plan to get an early prescription drug refill or replace a lost or destroyed prescription - if they make a request within 29 days of the disaster declaration.
- Blue Cross NC will also provide a 30-day extension for deadlines related to:
- Submission of claims
- Filing of appeals
- Requests for authorization of medical services
- Additions of newborn and adopted children to a medical policy
- Members within a disaster area who need additional flexibility on premium payments, medications or other requirements should call the customer service number on the back of their member card.
Please remember: Blue Cross NC always advises members to go to the nearest hospital in an emergency.