General tips for parents
- One of the best ways to keep your child healthy is to make sure that you and your child wash your hands frequently particularly when your child is sick.
- When your child is sick, please do not assume that medication, particularly an antibiotic, is the solution. Antibiotics are only appropriate for bacterial infections and bacteria do not cause most common conditions, including colds and flu. When your child is ill: Make sure they get enough fluids and plenty of rest.
- If your child is given an antibiotic for a bacterial infection, make sure that he or she takes all the medicine prescribed. Do not give your child any medication, including antibiotics that were not prescribed for him or her for that specific illness.
- The amount of medicine your child should receive is based on his or her weight and age. Always read the package for dosing information or ask a pharmacist or a health care provider.
- Always use the measuring devices included with each product - do not use household spoons.
- Discard all prescription medications when the treatment is complete.