Other Services and Procedures
Prior Review Code List:
This list is updated on a quarterly basis, within the first 10 days of January, April, July, and October. If there is no update within this time period, the list will remain unchanged until the following quarter. Unlisted and miscellaneous health services codes should only be used if a specific code has not been established by the American Medical Association.
Prior Review Policies and Procedures:
- *Blue Care® plan: BCBSNC may authorize a service received out-of-network at the in-network benefit level if the service is not available in-network or if there is a continuity of care issue.
- Blue Advantage® and Blue OptionsSM plans: BCBSNC may authorize a service received out-of-network at the in-network benefit level if the service is not available in-network or if there is a transition of care issue.
- **Blue Advantage, Blue Assurance and Blue Options HSA.(Indvidual) plans: Prior Review is not required for mental health or substance abuse services.
- ***Prior Review codes for DME are available from Customer Service, Utilization Management or your BCBSNC Network Management representative.
- Requirements for utilization of in-network and out-of-network facilities and professionals must be verified in conjunction with obtaining prior review.
Policies Apply to Members Covered By:
Blue Advantage, Blue Care, and Blue Options. Prior review for Classic Blue ®is also required for employees of Morgan USA, Martin Marietta, and Goodrich.
Request Prior Review:
Mental health and substance abuse - Please contact Magellan Behavioral Heatlh using the mental health phone number listed on the back of the member ID card.
For other services and procedures:
- By fax: Request form
- By phone: BCBSNC Utilization Management - 1-800-672-7897
Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., Eastern time
- Continuous Passive Motion in the Home Setting: Request Form
- FemoroAcetabular Impingement Surgery: Request Form
- Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery (FESS): Request Form
- Home Sleep Studies: Request Form
- IMRT Breast Cancer Fax Form: Request Form
- IMRT Lung Cancer Fax Form: Request Form
- IMRT Head, Neck, CNS Fax Form: Request Form
- IMRT Prostate Fax Form: Request Form
- IMRT Abdomen and Pelvis Fax Form: Request Form
- Oncotype DX™: Request Form
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery Fax Form: Request Form
- Topical Negative Pressure Therapy for Wounds: Request Form
- Topical Negative Pressure Therapy for Wounds Extension: Request Form
- Varicose Vein: Request Form
The following services and procedures received in a nonemergency situation on an outpatient basis require prior review.
- Blue Care: Any service received at an out-of-network provider*
- Certain mental health or substance abuse treatment (except for Blue Advantage, Blue Assurance and Blue Options HSA. Individual)**
- Non-emergency air ambulance services
- Certain durable medical equipment (DME)***
- Home health, including nursing and certain home infusions
- Surgery and/or outpatient procedures, including but not limited to:
- Lung volume reduction surgery
- Morbid obesity surgery
- UPPP, surgical management of obstructive sleep apnea
- Vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty
- Percutaneous treatment of HNP
- Procedures potentially cosmetic, including but not limited to:
- Reconstructive surgery, including but not limited to rhitidectomy, dermabrasion, scar revision
- Breast surgeries including insertion and removal of silicone breast implants, reduction mammoplasty, and gynecomastia
- Therapy of superficial veins, such as varicose veins, telangiectasias
- Orthognathic surgery
Please note: In addition to the services listed above, prior review may be required for diagnostic imaging services. For instructions on requesting prior review for diagnostic imaging, see diagnostic imaging procedures.