Omnitrope is BCBSNC's Growth Hormone Medication of Choice
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina (BCBSNC) health care providers, who recently prescribed growth hormone therapy to one or more BCBSNC members, received a written notice from BCBSNC stating that Omnitrope will serve as BCBSNC's growth hormone medication of choice. BCBSNC members who have filled a prescription for a growth hormone in the past six months also received a letter regarding this program change.
What does this change mean?
- Effective November 18, 2011, BCBSNC moved Omnitrope® from Tier 4 to Tier 3.
- As of January 1, 2012, all other growth hormones will be moved to Tier 4.
- By March 1, 2012, all BCBSNC members approved for growth hormone therapy will need to convert to Omnitrope. If you feel that Omnitrope is not medically appropriate for your patient (i.e., the preferred drug was detrimental to your patient's health or ineffective in treating your patient's condition, and you believe it is likely to be detrimental to your patient's health or ineffective in treating the condition again), you will need to call us at 1-800-672-7897 to discuss this exception.
- If you move any of your currently authorized members who are on another growth hormone to Omnitrope prior to March 1, 2012, BCBSNC will extend the dates of their current authorization by 12 months. For example, Patient A currently has an existing one-year authorization for growth hormone that is scheduled to expire on April 20, 2012, and you change them to Omnitrope on February 1, 2012. BCBSNC will extend Patient A's growth hormone authorization for another year, so it will expire on April 20, 2013. This will be completed with no additional steps on your part. Simply give your patient a prescription for Omnitrope, and we will track these in our system and automatically extend the authorization once the prescription is filled.
- Members currently on other brands of somatropin will be notified of this change in the coming weeks and instructed to work with the prescribing doctor and pharmacy to change their prescription to Omnitrope.
All brands of growth hormone contain somatropin and prices vary widely. Omnitrope was chosen as the preferred somatropin brand based on safety, efficacy, delivery device, and cost. Omnitrope is available in two convenient pen devices via a 10 mg/1.5 mL cartridge and a 5 mg/1.5 mL cartridge. OmniSource, the Omnitrope Support Center, can provide home injection device training that can be arranged by any BCBSNC contracted specialty pharmacy. They will work closely with OmniSource to ensure delivery of the drug and device and to coordinate training for approved Omnitrope injections as requested.
For more information about OmniSource, call 1-877-456-6794 or visit www.myOmnisource.com. Our specialty pharmacy network can assist your patients through this transition, if needed. Your office may be contacted by the specialty pharmacy network about transition support for patients currently using a growth hormone drug other than Omnitrope. Our goal is to help your patients achieve the best results for your prescribed medication therapy. If you have any questions, please contact the Provider Blue LineSM at 1-800-214-4844.