Teaming With Hospitals for Quality Care
We are working with doctors and hospitals in our network to examine and improve their performance as part of the third generation of our Hospital Quality Program. The result? Better health outcomes, lower costs, and improved patient experience. Here’s how it works:
- Hospital performance is measured using nationally recognized quality measures.
- A standard evaluation is conducted using a scorecard approach.
- Hospital reimbursement is tied to performance.
- Performance data is shared with hospitals to assist in improving patient care outcomes.
- Peer-to-peer knowledge sharing and collaboration is facilitated by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina (BCBSNC).
We plan to collaborate with the hospital’s staff and share performance data, because we want to engage them in improving care outcomes for our members, as well as promote transparency of performance among acute-care hospitals.
As participating hospitals renew their contracts with BCBSNC, they will become eligible to participate in the new Hospital Quality Program. In addition, we are proactively reaching out to some hospitals so that they can enroll in the updated program. You can use this informational handout about the program, if you would like to share details about this program with your staff.
This important work with our participating hospitals can improve access to high-quality care, lower hospital-acquired infection rates, reduce readmissions, and ultimately help save lives and reduce health care costs.
For additional information about the Hospital Quality Program, please visit our website, or contact BCBSNC’s Health Delivery Redesign team at 919-765-1871 or your BCBSNC Strategic Provider Relationships consultant.