2012 Stick It to the Flu - Seasonal Flu Program
Release Date: September 24, 2012
Many Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina (BCBSNC) members are eligible to receive a flu shot at no cost. Providers should check the member's preventive care benefits to see if they qualify and if any applicable copayment, deductible or coinsurance applies.
Eligible BCBSNC members can receive their seasonal flu shot at the following locations:
- Physician's Office
- Immunizing Pharmacist
- Immunizing Health Department
- CVS Minute Clinic
Their Employer’s Worksite Flu Shot Clinic (if applicable)
For Blue Medicare Members:
Blue Medicare HMO and Blue Medicare PPO members are eligible to receive flu shots without a copayment if they only go to the doctor for a flu shot. However, if the patient sees the doctor for other services, an office visit copayment may be charged. Blue Medicare patients can also receive their annual flu shot at CVS Minute Clinics, an immunizing health department, or from an immunizing pharmacist.
Providers may access the Quick Reference Medicare Immunization Billing guide for complete details about immunization procedure codes and descriptors for Blue Medicare members. Please review the Blue Medicare flu shot Web page for specific details.
For the 2012 flu season, the following vaccines are available:
- Fluzone (regular) - combo vaccine with two strains of influenza + H1N1 called the "trivalent vaccine" Eligible codes are:
- CPT codes 90655-90658 – depending on age of patient and whether or not vaccine is preservative free or not
- FluMist single-use nasal spray for patients ages 2 through 49:
- CPT code 90660
- Fluzone high-dose vaccine for patients ages 65 or older:
- CPT code 90662
- Administration codes for influenza vaccine:
- Codes 90460-90461 (for children ages 18 years or younger)
- Codes 90471-90474 (for patients ages 18 or older when no counseling involved)
- Code G0008 (use this Medicare-required code if member also has Medicare coverage)
For additional details regarding the 2012 BCBSNC seasonal flu program for commercial members, please see our Stick It to the Flu® website.