ICD-10 Medical Policy Revisions
In preparation for the health care industry's conversion to the 10th version of the International Classification of Diseases code set (ICD-10), Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina (BCBSNC) is in the process of reviewing our online medical policies to identify those that contain ICD-9 code information, and we're making updates to the policies identified to also include ICD-10 diagnosis codes.
Many of the policies listed refer to an ICD-10 compliance date of October 1, 2014. The recent passage of H.R. 4302 "Protecting Access to Medicare Act of 2014" allows for a delay in the implementation of ICD-10, which can now be no earlier than October 1, 2015. Due to this delay, the current medical policies referencing ICD-9 codes will remain in effect until the new compliance date in 2015, or will be updated if a new compliance date is confirmed by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services.
The medical policies listed below were updated to include ICD-10 diagnosis code information. We will continue reviewing our medical policies to make any necessary ICD-10 code updates and will add updated policies to the list below on an ongoing basis.
Providers who use practice management systems that contain ICD-9 code information are encouraged to review the list of medical policies below, and make any applicable ICD-10 code set updates within their management systems, including clinical and financial applications where codes are housed and accessed for reporting.
Updated ICD-10 Medical Policies:
- Capsaicin (Qutenza)
- Cardiovascular Disease Risk Tests
- Chemoembolization of the Hepatic Artery, Transcatheter Approach
- Cord Blood as a Source of Stem Cells
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency in MS
- Dopamine Transporter Imaging with Single Photon Emission CT
- Gastric Electrical Stimulation
- Gender Reassignment Surgery
- Hormone Pellet Implantation for HRT in Women
- Infusion Therapy in Home
- Laser Treatment of Port Wine Stains
- Molecular Markers in Fine Needle Aspirates of the Thyroid
- Nonpayment for Serious Adverse Events
- Non-Pharmacologic Treatment of Rosacea
- Occipital Nerve Stimulation
- Ovarian and Internal Iliac Vein Embolization
- Rituximab for the Treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Radioembolization for Primary and Metastatic Tumors of Liver
- Sacral Nerve Neuromodulation/Stimulation for Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
- Systems Pathology for Predicting Risk of Recurrence in Prostate Cancer
- Vagus Nerve Stimulation
- Varicose Veins Treatment