Prior Plan Approval
Prior Plan Approval Code List:
This list is updated on a quarterly basis, within the first 10 days of January, April, July, and October. If there is no update within this time period, the list will remain unchanged until the following quarter. Unlisted and miscellaneous health services codes should only be used if a specific code has not been established by the American Medical Association.
Requirements for utilization of in-network and out-of-network facilities and professionals must be verified in conjunction with obtaining prior plan approval.
Blue Medicare may authorize a service received out-of-network at the in-network benefit level if the service is not available in-network or if there is a transition of care issue.
Services not covered by Original Medicare are not covered by Blue Medicare.
While the PDF file is open, select Edit from the top of the page, then select Find. A small window should open up; type the word or code that you want to locate into the text field. Then click on the "Find" or "Find Next" button. The document should jump to the section containing that word or code and should highlight it.
Request Prior Plan Approval
For other services and procedures:
- By fax:
- Episodic Case Management (acute inpatient rehab, DME, home health, etc.): 336-659-2945
- Concurrent Review/Discharge Planning: 336-794-1555
- Pre-certification: 336-794-1556
- By phone: Blue Medicare Utilization Management: 1-888-296-9790 Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., Eastern time
The following services and procedures received in a nonemergency situation on an outpatient basis require prior plan approval.
- Mental health or substance abuse treatment (contact Magellan Health Services at 1-800-266-6167)
- Non-emergency ambulance services
- Certain durable medical equipment (DME): ***Prior approval codes for DME are available from Customer Service, Utilization Management or your BCBSNC Network Management representative.
- Home health, including nursing and home infusion
- Investigational and Experimental Services
- Surgery and/or outpatient procedures, including but not limited to:
- Lung volume reduction surgery
- Morbid obesity surgery
- UPPP, surgical management of obstructive sleep apnea
- Vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty
- Procedures potentially cosmetic, including but not limited to:
- Reconstructive surgery, including but not limited to dermabrasion
- Breast surgeries including insertion and removal of silicone breast implants, reduction mammoplasty, and gynecomastia
- Therapy of superficial veins, such as varicose veins
- Orthognathic surgery