Hold Harmless Policy
The member will not be held financially responsible for the cost of covered services except for any applicable copayment, coinsurance, or deductible if ALL of the following are true:
- The member has followed the guidelines of the Plan.
- The PCP or participating specialist fails to obtain pre-certification with Blue Medicare HMO and Blue Medicare PPO Healthcare Services Department for those covered services which require pre-certification.
- The non-pre-certified covered services have already been rendered
The participating provider will be advised that they must write-off the cost of the non-certified services and hold the member financially harmless according to contract provisions.
Ancillary services provided in conjunction with non-precertified services are also not payable by the Plan unless the ancillary provider is a non-participating provider.
This policy will also apply when Plan is the secondary payer of claims.
Members will be held responsible for non-certified services when:
- Blue Medicare HMO or Blue Medicare PPO is able to intervene to redirect/inform a member prior to services being rendered that coverage has been denied; and
- There is evidence that the member clearly understood that the services were not approved for coverage, i.e., the member signed a waiver agreeing to be responsible for payment.
To view PDF documents you need Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina (BCBSNC) is a Medicare Advantage organization with a Medicare contract to provide HMO and PPO plans. BCBSNC does not discriminate based on color, gender, religion, national origin, age, race, disability, handicap, sexual orientation, genetic information, source of payment or health status as defined by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS). All qualified Medicare beneficiaries may apply. You must be entitled to Medicare Part A and enrolled in Medicare Part B and must reside in the CMS-approved service area. You must continue to pay your Medicare Part B premium, if not otherwise paid for under Medicaid or another third party. BCBSNC is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.