Hold Harmless Policy
The member will not be held financially responsible for the cost of covered services except for any applicable copayment, coinsurance, or deductible if ALL of the following are true:
- The member has followed the guidelines of the Plan.
- The PCP or participating specialist fails to obtain pre-certification with Blue Medicare HMO and Blue Medicare PPO Healthcare Services Department for those covered services which require pre-certification.
- The non-pre-certified covered services have already been rendered
The participating provider will be advised that they must write-off the cost of the non-certified services and hold the member financially harmless according to contract provisions.
Ancillary services provided in conjunction with non-precertified services are also not payable by the Plan unless the ancillary provider is a non-participating provider.
This policy will also apply when Plan is the secondary payer of claims.
Members will be held responsible for non-certified services when:
- Blue Medicare HMO or Blue Medicare PPO is able to intervene to redirect/inform a member prior to services being rendered that coverage has been denied; and
- There is evidence that the member clearly understood that the services were not approved for coverage, i.e., the member signed a waiver agreeing to be responsible for payment.
To view PDF documents you need Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina is an HMO, PPO, and PDP plan with a Medicare contract. Enrollment in Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina depends on contract renewal. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina does not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, age, mental or physical disability, health status, claims experience, medical history, genetic information, evidence of insurability or geographic location within the service area. All Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina items and services are available to all eligible beneficiaries in the service area.