Blue Options 1-2-3
Blue Options 1-2-3SM a middle ground plan for small businesses that want to provide the benefits of a PPO in a cost effective manner, and don't want to move completely to a high-deductible health plan and/or health savings account (HSA). It is designed to provide the best of both worlds.
How does it work?
Blue Options 1-2-3 divides health care services into three benefit levels, from Level 1 where most of the cost of care is covered by a copayment, to Level 3 where more of the costs of care are shared with the member.
The plan supports primary and preventive care at Level 1, while Level 2 and Level 3 coverage for inpatient, outpatient or specialist care encourages closer management of costs.
This approach also helps lower premiums. In fact, Blue Options 1-2-3 premiums are lower than traditional PPO plans. Employers can expect premium savings of up to 22% when compared to our most popular PPO plan.1
Blue Options 1-2-3 benefits summary
This summary shows the range of coverage available. Your plan benefits can be customized to the needs of your business and employees.
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3|
|Type of service||Primary and Preventive care||Inpatient care||Outpatient care and Professional specialist care|
|In-network copayment or coinsurance||Copayments for services||Fee plus coinsurance after deductible||Higher coinsurance rate after deductible|
In-network covered services
|Primary care office visits and Preventive care||Inpatient hospital services and other care||Outpatient hospital services and other care|
|Prescription drug coverage||Covered by our standard Tier 4 coverage.|
Why Blue Options 1-2-3?
Is it right for your business?
Blue Options 1-2-3 works for businesses looking for a plan with lower premiums that still offers many of the advantages of a traditional PPO plan. If you and your employees are not quite ready to jump into the hand-on cost management encouraged by a high-deductible health plan, Blue Options 1-2-3 provides the opportunity to manage health care costs with a lower level of employee engagement.
Is it right for your employees?
Getting employees more involved in managing their health care costs is a challenge for any business. Blue Options 1-2-3 is designed to give your employees what they want (primary care copayments) while giving you what you want (lower premium costs).
With Blue Options 1-2-3, employees only pay a manageable $15-25 copayment for this care.
- BCBSNC is the No. 1 choice of small businesses in North Carolina2
- Rated #1 in customer satisfaction in North Carolina3
- Now small businesses have access to wellness resources and health assessments with reporting4
- New! HRA options now available for small businesses
BCBSNC offers support and programs for members, including:
- Web and mobile access to benefits and claims information at mybcbsnc.com
- Health Line BlueSM, our 24/7 nurse line providing support at no additional cost to members
- Exclusive member discounts from top retailers on fitness gear, gym memberships, family activities, healthy eating options and much more with Blue365®5
- Fully integrated case management, condition care and the Healthy Outcomes wellness program4
- Access to valuable health improvement resources for those who are healthy or those who may need additional support.
1. BCBSNC Internal Data, 2011. Based on copayment plans that include a $2,000 coinsurance maximum and a $10/$25/$40 copayment structure for prescription drugs. Based on data for Blue Options Underwritten Groups as of 10/1/2011, with 5 to 20 subscribers. Pricing is for a single male, age 40-44, residing in Durham.
2. Triangle Business Leader, "Top 100 North Carolina Small Businesses" June 2010 and Internal BCBSNC data, June 2010.
3. Frederick Polls, April 2011.
4. BCBSNC contracts with Alere Health Improvement Company, an independent third party vendor, for the provision of certain aspects of Healthy Outcomes programs.
5. Blue365® offers access to savings on items that Members may purchase directly from independent vendors, which are different from items that are covered under the policies with BCBSNC. Any disputes regarding these products and services may be subject to BCBSNC's grievance process. Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association (BCBSA) may receive payments from Blue365 vendors. BCBSA does not recommend, endorse, warrant or guarantee any specific Blue365 vendor or item.