Dental Blue for Individuals℠
Dependable Affordable Dental Insurance
Dental Blue for Individuals gives individuals and families more reliable options when it comes to dental health:
- The ability to choose any licensed dentist in North Carolina
- Save money by choosing a participating specialist
- No deductible for checkups and other preventive and diagnostic services
How It Works
Take Care of Your Dental Health
Medical research shows a connection between dental health and many serious health conditions, including diabetes, coronary heart disease to name just a few.1
Let Dental Blue for Individuals help you take care of your dental health.
Choose Your Dentist
Dental Blue for Individuals makes dental insurance quick and easy:
- Schedule an appointment with any licensed dentist.
- Show your BCBSNC member ID card at the dentist's office when you arrive.
- File your claim (although many dentist offices will file for you).
Dental Checkups and Cleanings are Covered
There's no waiting period for preventive services (A waiting period is the time from your effective date to the day you can receive benefits for a covered dental service.) Checkups and cleanings are covered twice per benefit period.
Reliable and Convenient Dental Coverage
With Dental Blue for Individuals, you get:
- A convenient monthly premium
- The freedom to see any licensed dentist in NC or participating dentist or choose one from our expansive network
- No deductible and no waiting period for preventive services
- Coverage for basic services (routine fillings or extractions) and major services (crowns, dentures and bridges)*
* Dental Blue for Individuals is not part of the covered health insurance benefits of any BCBSNC plans. Dental Blue for Individuals must be purchased separately.
1 "The Health Perils of Gum Disease." http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/features/health-perils-of-gum-disease (Accessed June 2011).
|Covered Services||What You Pay|
Deductible for basic and major services
Annual maximum limit for all services
A partial list of the services, supplies, drugs or charges that aren't covered by the dental plan. For a full list, please refer to the product's benefit booklet
This policy is guaranteed renewable and may not be canceled or non-renewed for any reason other than your failure to pay premiums or misstatements in or omissions of information from your application. Any change in your rate will be preceded by a 30-day notice and is guaranteed for 12 months.
1: Based on allowed amounts as determined by BCBSNC. An allowed amount may be less than the provider's actual charge. You are responsible for charges above the allowed amount, in addition to any deductible and coinsurance applied.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Who's eligible for Dental Blue for Individuals?
- Applicants (under 65 years of age) and their dependents (spouses/domestic partners and/or children under the age of 26) who are residents of North Carolina and haven't had a Dental Blue for Individuals policy in the last 12 months.
- What if I need to add dependents at a later date?
- Dependents can be added within 30 days of a qualifying life event, such as marriage, divorce, a newborn within 30 days of their first birthday, adoption or court order.
- Is it possible to cover my child but not myself?
- Yes, you may apply for dental coverage that covers your child only.
- Can an effective date only be the first of the month?
- Yes, your coverage can begin on either the first or the 15th of the month.
- If I cancel my Dental Blue for Individuals coverage, how soon can I reapply?
- Reapplying for coverage isn't permitted for 12 months from your policy's termination date.
- Are my monthly premiums subject to change?
- You may experience a change in your monthly premiums at the time of your annual renewal (January 1 of each year), or when you add or remove dependents.
- What are my premium payment options?
- Your initial payment can be made by credit card or bank draft. Subsequent monthly premium payments can be set up for credit card, bank draft or direct bill.
- How do I know if my dentist participates in your dental provider network?
- Visit our dental provider search.
- How do I file a dental claim?
Participating providers will file the claim on your behalf. If your dentist office does not file claims, you should pay the dentist in full and submit your claim to BCBSNC for reimbursement. Complete a dental claim form and mail it to us within 180 days from the date of your service.
Mail the completed claim form to:
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina
Dental Claims Unit
P.O. Box 2100
Winston-Salem, NC 27102-2100
- Will I get credit for my prior dental coverage?
- Yes, BCBSNC may waive or reduce your dental waiting period by the number of months of prior dental coverage. Proof of prior dental coverage with less than 63 days lapse in coverage is required.
Policy Form #'s: M60, 8/12, M60s, 8/12