@BCBSNC: Health Care is Changing, and We Are, Too
With our new blog, we're making deeper connections with North Carolinians and finding new ways to provide real-time, dependable information about health care, wellness and healthy living.
Join us in the conversation.
Since 1933, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina (BCBSNC) has offered its customers high quality health insurance at a competitive price and has led the charge toward better health and health care in our state. BCBSNC is a fully taxed, not-for-profit North Carolina company with headquarters in Chapel Hill and major operations centers in Durham and Winston-Salem. We employ more than 4,500 North Carolinians1 and serve more than 3.8 million customers.2
BCBSNC is committed to making the health care system in North Carolina better – but we know we can't do it alone. That's why we have worked with doctors, hospitals and others to bring our customers innovative solutions that simplify the health care system, improve efficiency and outcomes, and help rein in costs.
The BCBSNC PPO network of health care providers includes 90% of medical doctors and 96% of all general acute-care hospitals.3 With the BlueCard® program, our members have coverage with doctors and hospitals in all 50 states and in more than 200 countries and territories around the world through BlueCard Worldwide®.4
BCBSNC employees work hard not only for our customers, but for the communities where they work and live. Since 1997, our employees have logged more than 377,000 volunteer hours at a value of over $6.5 million dollars in donated time.5 Our diversity initiatives are fully integrated with the key elements of our corporate DNA: our culture, our workforce, our marketplace and our community. Each element contributes to our overall success.
In addition, the independent Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina Foundation has invested more than $97 million into North Carolina communities to improve the health of populations served by our state's health care safety net, promote physical activity and healthy eating, and help North Carolina non-profits reach their goals.6
We're a Fully Taxed Company
BCBSNC was founded as a nonprofit Medical and Hospital Services Corporation. Although we are structured as a nonprofit (no stock) corporation, the company is fully taxed and last year incurred over $118.3 million in federal, state and local taxes. BCBSNC has not been tax exempt since 1973 (State) and 1986 (Federal). It's important to distinguish that BCBSNC is a business that is not a 501 (c)(3) charitable organization.
Because we don't have shareholders, our net income is invested back into the company into things such as health programs for our members, customer service improvements and technology. It also contributes to our reserves, which represent the safety net for our customers in the event of an economic downturn or public health emergency.
Our Customer Service
- Average customer satisfaction: 8.4 out of 10.07
- Number of claims paid in 2013: 48.6 million8
- Value of claims paid: $5 billion9
- Customer service calls received in 2013: more than 4.9 million10
Awards and Recognition
BCBSNC has earned the highest level of accreditation from the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) for its HMO (Personal Care Plan and Blue Care), Point of Service (MedPoint and Blue Choice), and PPO (Blue Options) health plans. BCBSNC joins the elite ranks of health plans nationwide whose level of service and clinical quality meet or exceed NCQA's rigorous requirements for consumer protection and quality improvement.
BCBSNC was recognized as one of the World's Most Ethical Companies in 2012, 2013 and 2014 by Ethisphere Institute, a leading international think tank dedicated to the creation, advancement and sharing of best practices in business ethics, corporate social responsibility, anti-corruption and sustainability. Each year, Ethisphere evaluates several thousand companies from around the world and recognizes those few that demonstrate a true commitment to ethical leadership, compliance practices and corporate social responsibility.
- Working Mother Media - Top 100 Best Companies for Working Mothers (2007-2013 - seventh consecutive year)
- The Ethisphere Institute - World's Most Ethical Company Award
- Diversity Inc - Top 10 Company for Diversity in the South
- AARP - Top 50 Employer for Employees Over 50
- Chief Learning Officer (CLO) Learning in Practice Award - Learning Team in the Practitioner category (2nd year)
- The American Society for Training and Development (ASTD) - BEST Silver Award (3rd time recognized)
- Carolina Parent - Top 50 Family Friendly Employers
- Rex Healthcare - Wellness at Work Award
- American Heart Association - Fit Friendly Award
- CEO Cancer Gold Standard - Accreditation
- The American Society for Training and Development (ASTD) - Top 25 Global Corporate Universities
- Profiles in Diversity Journal - Diversity Leader Award
- Triangle Business Journal - 2012 Healthiest Employers of the Triangle Award (Ranked #2)
- 1 Employment numbers as of 12/31/2013.
- 2 BCBSNC Membership Detail Report - 12/31/2013.
- 3 BCBSNC statewide PPO vendor count as of 3/24/14. Excludes mental health and dental providers.
- 4 Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association internal data, 2014: http://www.bcbs.com/already-a-member/coverage-home-and-away.html (Accessed May 2014)
- 5 BCBSNC internal data, 2013.
- 6 BCBSNC Foundation internal data. 2013.
- 7 Customer satisfaction survey results from customers likely to renew, 2013. Excludes State Health Plan, BCBSNC employees customers, customers under 21 years of age, appeals cases, Medicare Advantage, Medicare Part D, and any customer group that asked not to be surveyed.
- 8 BCBSNC internal claims data, 2013.
- 9 "BCBSNC Adds Customers, Invests to Meet Health Care Reform Requirements", BCBSNC press release February 28, 2014
- 10 BCBSNC internal customer service data, 2013.